Bitcoin from a responsible investor’s perspective: Do the ESG risks outweigh the benefits?
JUN 4, 2021
- Proof-of-work cryptocurrencies raise a range of concerns for responsible investors, particularly on the topic of climate change risks.
- Climate impacts associated with the maintenance of the Bitcoin network can be seen to outweigh the benefit derived from a digital store of value.
- ESG data can be leveraged to assess companies involved in the wider Bitcoin ecosystem.
- The governance structure of Bitcoin has proven remarkably resilient in its relatively short history.
- Although there are initiatives to make Bitcoin less impactful for climate, the technologies and innovations that would enable such transition are not yet realized.
- Future iterations of digital assets may perform differently in terms of ESG risks.